[GCFL-discuss] What did you learn this Christmas?

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Dec 28 23:13:57 CST 2003

The Merry Merry-thon has drawn to a close for yet another
year.  I learned a few things this Christmas . . .

Even if you've scheduled a few days off before Christmas,
you'll still be wrapping mountains of gifts at 3:00 a.m. on
Christmas morning.  It's inevitable - just accept it.

Never admit to your teenage son that you can't stand a
particular Christmas carol.  Today's MP3 and IPOD technology
coupled with his rapidly developing lust for teasing the
snot out of someone will meld to produce a 24/7 atmosphere
wherein the song will rear its ugly head at every
opportunity.  Exploiting HIS hatred for a particular song
will most likely make the situation worse, as there is
probably good reason for him to find that song objectionable
(cases in point:  "Felize Navidad" - the song that sets my
teeth on edge, vs. "Hoola Ko Wikki Waki" - the song that
sends him [and us] running screaming from the room).  Best
defense:  tell him you've undergone desensitization
training, and you actually LIKE your song now.  Make it
believable; sway, dance, and sing along when it comes on.
Turn UP the volume, so everyone can hear it better.  Stopped
him cold - heh heh heh!!

Be very aware that Xtreme Sports and video gaming has had an
impact on sledding and tobogganing.   While your kids will
let you THINK that you're going to take a quiet, controlled
little solo flight down the hill sitting safely on your
toboggan, they will implement their buzzing and dodging
plans seconds after your take-off.  One memorable run
involved my daughter snowboarding along side my right, which
was fine, until I realized it was a distraction maneuver so
that her brother, on my left with a snow saucer under each
foot, could cut in front of me and attempt to land a 360
degree spin just as I had reached a speed on my toboggan
which negated the fine control necessary to avoid running
him down like hapless road kill.  They found this
exhiliarating.  I found it heart-stopping.

We adopted a Christmas kitten for my daughter a few weeks
before the Big Day, and this was a perfect thing.  The
springy, bouncey, tiny little tiger-stripe has sparkling
magic that colored everything from decorating, to wrapping,
to relaxing when we needed to catch our breath.  Note:  my
Golden Retriever has a completely different opinion about
our new family addition.

I learned a few other things this Christmas, too; for
example, gifts that were perfect last July might not cut it
this December, if you can even remember where you hid them.

What did you learn this Christmas?

Michigan Hockey Mom