[GCFL-discuss]

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Apr 8 14:54:18 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, B writes:
Top question..?   How do you keep a marriage balanced, without losing
yourself?

Answer: You can't!
Hi, B & husband, here's my take: you two & the rest of you on this list
(including me) are incapable of keeping a marriage balanced. The
illustration I take to my secular classrooms is a photograph this old man
took in Afghanistan back in the 50s. It is a picture of a donkey and a
buffalo yoked together while pulling a heavy sled behind them crushing
the wheat grains from the stalks. Because they are unequal in gait,
strength, etc., they cannot walk a straight line and are doomed to go
around in circles. (2 Corinthians 6:14 sound familiar concerning business
partners, marriage partners, buddies'friends, or any other kinds of
liaisons?)

Question: If two unequal critters are prone to go around in circles (that
the writer Paul is stating which eludes us city-slickers in our culture),
how does the farmer get the two joined ones from Point A (the barn) to
Point B (the threshing table)  when the path is a  straight line and
there are irrigation ditches on either side of the path? In just a few
moves, both creatures will be mired in the mud with their inequality.
Right, B?

Answer (to avoid a  lot of needless speculations wasted on the net): The
farmer knows the propensity of two different beating hearts. So he walks
along side the helpless legs, and depending which side he is on, he will
either push or pull  against the wooden timber across their necks (the
yoke) to compensate for their inequality. Rather labor intensive.

Like a mouse hitched up to an elephant,  we also are incapable of
"keeping a marriage balanced." (It is impossible to "loose yourself"
alone; both lose out simultaneously. Think.)

The bigger question is,  Who is the Farmer in your marriage? Who do you
allow to keep you two on a straight line with purpose and direction? Who
calls the shots? What's your base?

To the praise of our Sovereign's glory, have a blessed Easter
celebration,

Mac