[GCFL-discuss] Beliefs

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Apr 14 19:15:04 CDT 2004

Quama asked:

" What about everybody else? Are you Christian? If not, what do you =
believe?"

I'm a Christian. I believe Jesus was Emmanu-El, God with us, the Messiah
promised by Isaiah. I don't worry a lot about the question "Do you
believe Jesus was the son of God?", because that is just another way of
saying God with us. But once any church begins to define doctrine, we
always seem to get bogged down in the irrelevant and the impossible.

After about 100 AD, the church got wrapped up in theological nit-picking,
trying to fit the many things Jesus said, which he told the Apostles they
didn't and wouldn't understand fully, into neat little doctrines. I
believe that when we know much about God is a mystery, beyond human
ability to comprehend, we should just admit its a mystery, and not write
complex doctrines to trip over.

The important thing about Jesus is the way each of us individually
experiences him, and the way he taught us to live.

I also believe that Jesus promised in Matthew 25 that many who do not
know him will also be saved, because "inasmuch as you did it for the
least of these my brethren, you did it unto me."

God is good.