[GCFL-discuss] Old cowboy goes to church

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Apr 27 16:27:12 CDT 2004

I must say, Posh, that Eagle, Lance and Rev. Ev are all correct.  I agree
100 % with them. There can be a bit of vanity in dressing up for church; a
sort of "holier than thou" kind of attitude.  You were right when you were
talking of cleanliness, and being clean before God. God wants clean hearts,
and clean minds; He has never said that he wanted clean clothing in the
Bible. It's not there. It's not even in the Books of the Law - the strict
Old Testament rules.

However, I also do not take the "you can dress as a slob, 'cause it doesn't
matter" approach, because it does. God notices time an effort we put into
our work - He does want us to do the best we can with everything, including
dress. It is a sign of respect, and IF it is a call of personal worship - by
which I mean "a private way of showing God that you love Him" - then that's
fine. As long as the attitude behind the dress is not one of pride and
vanity. After all, it's the attitude that counts, in everything.

I, personally, dress a bit fancier than usual for church. I don't often wear
jeans to church, but sometimes I do. If someone comes in dressed differently
from me, I take no offense to it. It simply doesn't matter to me.

~Quama