[GCFL-discuss] Re: Many churches

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Apr 30 21:45:28 CDT 2004

Dear Posh, and Eric,

I for one believe that there are many denominations because God DOES need
all those different avenues to draw people to him. Most of the
differences are of little concern to God, but of great concern to man
(meaning, men and women). Most of the detailed "doctrines" of various
denominations are not the direct teachings of Jesus, but the result of
church councils trying to nail down precise definitions of things that
Jesus did not clarify.

When these doctrines are questioned, many defend them by saying "It's a
mystery." I say, leave it at that. If it is a mystery, then let us
recognize that we don't KNOW the answer, that what God knows and does is
beyond what we can comprehend.

For example, Jesus did say to baptize in the name of Father, Son and Holy
Ghost, Jesus did say "I and the Father are one," but Jesus did NOT say
"God is a Trinity" or that the image of God should be painted as three
heads growing out of one body.

I even find that worship at churches which hold to doctrines I cannot
accept brings me closer to God. But my home church is fellowship on a
different level.