[GCFL-discuss] Doing one thing well

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Aug 5 20:43:17 CDT 2004

There are times when I read something by a total stranger that says what
I have been thinking so much better than I could. The following letter to
the editor is worth sharing:

Our government's first priority after 9-11 should have been to hunt down
the terrorists who committed the atrocity and make sure they could never
wound America again. That is why I supported the war against Afghanistan,
which harbored al-Qaida and Osama bin-Laden.

Yet I read in the Aug. 1 Journal-Sentinel that the Taliban is again
controlling large portions of Afghanistan and is again harboring the
perpetrators of 9-11. While the United States is losing control of
Afghanistan, our troops are stretched thin in Iraq, a country with no
involvement in 9-11 and no weapons of mass destruction.

President Bush apparently failed to learn a basic lesson that most of us
learned at a parent's knee: It is better to do one thing well than to do
two things poorly.

(forwarded by Siarlys)

P.S. A more detailed picture of how much we have lost in Afghanistan and
why is set forth in Fareed Zakariah's article, "Warlords, Drugs and
Votes" in the August 9 Newsweek, page 39. He concludes "As in Iraq, the
administration seems to have learned from its mistakes, but the education
of George Bush has been mighty costly."