[GCFL-discuss] Whales and Fish

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Dec 20 20:42:55 CST 2004

I recall that Jonah was swallowed by a great fish, not a whale -- which
would have saved many Christian school girls and skeptical science
teachers from unnecessary argument if it were clearly understood.
However, I was working from the King James translation of the reference
in Genesis to great whales. Perhaps they were fish. But why the two
different words, Taninim and Dag Gadol, if both mean big fish? There must
be some reason for the distinction, although, like many inquiries into
meaning, we may not know exactly what the reason is.