[GCFL-discuss] Advertising

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Dec 26 13:05:53 CST 2004

Hey greenBubble, did you happen to see a 12/24 NY Times article about a
Bible group paying to have New Testaments included as advertising
supplements in the Colorado Springs Gazette? What reminded me of our
discussions was the response of some Jewish families that received the
paper: under Jewish law, the copies cannot be thrown away, because it
would amount to desecration (even if it isn't Jewish scripture), so
Temple Shalom is collecting them to give to a church that would make use
of them.

There were also the usual quotes from the usual experts, something about
separation of church and state (which doesn't apply, since this is a paid
advertisement in a commercial newspaper, not a government pamphlet), and
free speech, which of course does apply. I was going to say, nobody asks
if we want a supplement advertising new refrigerators, or an AOL CD --
the only difference with a piece of the Bible is that not everyone can
simply throw it away if they don't want it. Of course those who provide
the supplement take the risk that some copies WILL be desecrated (thrown
in the trash) by less careful recipients who don't want them.