[GCFL-discuss] Media hype

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Jan 5 15:37:36 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
Hey speaking of viruses what does everyone think of the " Big flu thats worse than other years" ? I think it is a big media thing, blown out of proportion, to sell flu shots. Sure the flu is bad every year, but 2 years ago in the summer they talked about shark attacks being high watch out don't go in the water too far at the beach & blah blah & the ratio of shark attacks weren't any bigger than other years, the only reason they were discussed is cause the media need to talk about stuff & they blew that out of proportion. Anyone agree/ disagree with me??
Tolkien

Tolkien,
I would agree that our media is always running around looking for SOMETHING to keep them busy.  If it isn't truly noteworthy, much less newsworthy, then SENSATIONALIZE it!!!  I am SICK of our media.  I have purposefully not read a newspaper/ news magazine or listened to the radio or watched television news in many months (it was sometime in the spring).  I occasionally read online newspapers but when I do read, I go to many different sources to read the stories that intrigue me.  I do peruse a couple of conservative magazines a few times a year, but I have given up on hearing REAL news that isn't slanted.  How discouraging:  we live in the free US and can't trust our own "major" news sources.  I began disbelieving major media outlets when I saw that they all covered the VERY SAME STORIES in the VERY SAME WAY.  There was never any additional views, ideas or opinions, never any varying subjects.  Every network sounds exactly the same as every other.  That is NOT news reporting, that is entertainment.  And I don't personally find it entertaining.  I am also aware that I am being taught things through the television shows I choose to watch.  It seems that in every show (and sometimes even every episode) I am introduced to an idea and every following year it gets retold and soon it is accepted to be "truth".  It is a bunch of bunk and I am tired of it.
If you have any suggestions, I am open to hearing them.
Jeanene, a developing cynic at 45 in the Great Southwest