[GCFL-discuss] WEBSITE

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jul 20 10:43:40 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:36:54AM -0700, gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net wrote:
>       Hey guys  I am designing a website  &  want to  have a theme of
> _____.  It is more or less at this point a private website right now ( it
> will be open to the public eventually)  so to get on with my question
> I'll just use an example. Just say I wanna have a site & my theme would
> be harry potter. Just say I decorate it & everything in harry potter &
> get everything off their website. Is there any law against this? Would
> there be any reason I could not do this? Your comments are  appreciated.
>     Jeff

By default, if you don't get permission, it's against the
law. Anything on the Internet is automatically copyrighted
by the poster.  Even when you post a message on a message
board, it has an implied copyright.

However, there is a thing called "fair use" that allows
news organizations and others to quote other's work
without permission, but they have to give credit.

Also, if something is deemed to be in the public domain
and not owned by anyone, then it might be used.  It really
depends on if there is someone that is willing to take you
to court over it.

Something as famous as Harry Potter that is obviously
copyrighted material is a bad idea.  Of course, you could
make the site and then ask the owner.  They MIGHT say OK,
but usually they want some money.

I had to learn a lot about all this before releasing the
GCFL CD.  DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, so you should get the
advice of a professional. :)

- John

--
Parenting is like wallpapering--when you know how you are
finished!

http://GCFL.net (The Good, Clean Funnies List): Good, clean
funnies five times a week, no ads, for free!