[GCFL-discuss] The devil you know

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Jun 2 09:59:29 CDT 2004

Siarlys
I notice you did not disagree with me. phew!

We just witnessed this phenomenon with the medicare prescription law that
went into effect yesterday.

When was Eugene Debs?

Whatever your philosophical leanings, this is a lose-lose battle.  Investing
in it is, AT BEST, a waste of time and energy.
greenBubble

Cc: Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List
Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] The devil you know

greenBubble, you sound like Eugene Debs, who resigned from the Indiana
legislature when he found that his proposed law to protect railway
employees had been trashed in exactly the way you describe. He went on to
found the American Railway Union, win a strike against the Great
Northern, lose the Pullman Boycott, serve six months in federal prison,
run for president several times, the last time from the Atlanta prison
with campaign buttons for "Prisoner #5307".

But in the end, each of us is a special interest, or part of a special
interest. We don't exactly choose our politicians, elections are
manipulated, but politicians get away with it because we respond to
manipulation.