[GCFL-discuss] Re: GCFL-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 12 - Washington D.C. or Washington State

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Jun 13 22:49:48 CDT 2004

Hi Lance and Nancy,

I have to agree with you about people asking about
D.C. or state. Your perspective definitely changes
depending upon where you live or have lived. When I
lived in Boston, I was told I talked funny and asked
where was I from. When I replied, "Idaho", the person
would get a puzzled look on their face and say, "Isn't
that out by Kansas or Oklahoma?" I would have to
explain it was not Iowa in the midwest but Idaho as in
Washington State, Oregon, Montana, and Wyoming. I
could tell they didn't have a clue! It startled me the
first time I heard someone talk about Chicago being
"way out west". Isn't it Chicago "way east?". Now that
I live in Missouri, I don't get any of that because
midwesteners seem to know a lot more about the
geography of the country than people on either coast!
Nancy, I have to agree with your description of the
Coast Highway. Spectacular! And Lance, I could never
live in all the rain in coastal Washington and Oregon.
I do like the fog in San Francisco when I visit my
sister there.

Enjoy life, wherever you are!

Kateinmo

Not a clue, but it's Washington State. I'm from
Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC). I find it how
odd it is that everyone keeps asking state or DC.
Don't remember it being such a confusion. If you go to
the East side of WA your comment about rain would be
completely wrong. They're the deserty bunch of the
State. We here on the West side get all the rain...
BUT by this time of year, we're normally hot and dry
for the next three months! but at this point rainy as
can be :(

Lance
John 8:32 "You will know the Truth and the Truth will
set you free."

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] Weather

Lance,
those of us who grew up in the west (California for
me) think of Washington state, those who grew up in
 the East think DC and those who live in the midwest
are not sure which it is.  I spent a lot of time in
Oregon and Washington, lived in Bend Oregon for
awhile in the early 70's.  Unless you live out there
or are really familiar with the fact the the
Boise/Cascades/Sierras divide the wet from the dry it
is hard to imagine Oregon and Washington as anything
but rainy.  In California, I grew up in San Francisco,
it rained from November to February, wind came up in
March and dried it all out and then no more rans
(except very occasionally) until November again.  We
were blessed with Fog to keep us cooled off, but out
in the San Jaquine valley where I was born it is
really desert that man has brought water to to make it
a fantastic food area.  We had fog there too, but it
was called Tully (tooly) and comes up from the ground.
 It like the coastal fog can absolutely stop traffic
as you cannot see 2 white marks in front of your car.
It can be awfully scary if you have to drive in it. I
think you actually get more rain than the coast of
California and I know Oregon does in the area between
the Coastal range and the Boise-Cascades.
It is so beautiful all along the coast from Big Sur to
Vancouver.  Any one who has never made the trip should
do so.  You would be awed by the beauty and
ruggedness.
Nancy