[GCFL-discuss] why go?

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat May 1 12:35:42 CDT 2004

Eric...Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, also on your decision not to drink alcohol or use drugs.
I like to compare the value of church attendance to wanting to play tennis.  What follows is a lighthearted            look at a serious topic:

If I want to be really good at tennis I could watch it on TV,
and go out in the woods on a pretty day and think about tennis.  (Both of these can be of some value!)
Or I could go to the tennis court, talk to the people there, find out who was really good at it and sign up for some lessons.
  I could buy a good tennis racquet (after getting some advise on what kind to get) and start practicing.  After awhile I would say I was a tennis player.
 I doubt I could get very good at tennis on my own, without a racquet.  The racquet is like your Bible, the tennis pros are the pastors, teachers, church leaders, and sometimes the ones washing dishes, & taking out the trash.   Not everyone plays perfect tennis, in fact we are all learning together.  But knowing God, and being on the team is worth more than anything in the whole world.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.    Carla