[GCFL-discuss] Mormons

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 3 21:19:39 CDT 2004

I am not a Mormon, but I can tell you that during the Second Great
Awakening, a period of religious revival that produced many new
denominations (early 1800s) a farmer in upstate New York named Joseph
Smith said that an angel had directed him to a series of gold plates
buried on a hill nearby, and also gave him the means to translate the
writing on those plates, and his transcription into English was published
as The Book of Mormon. I've read some of it, and have not myself accepted
it as authoritative Scripture. The Seventh Day Adventists came from a
series of revivals during the same period: the founder, a man named
Miller, originally predicted the end of the world (Last Days, per
Revelations) for dates during the 1830s and 1840s, advancing the date as
each one failed to materialize. I have friends who follow this faith, but
I believe God has much more long-range plans than to end even one planet
worth of life in a matter of centuries or millenia. He provided us with
an incubator that seems to have some billions of years of hydrogen left
to convert into helium.