[GCFL-discuss] KJV NAB

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu May 13 15:10:11 CDT 2004

What is the King James Version? It is the best effort of some Biblical
scholars who lived in England in the early 1600s. What is the New
American Bible? It is the best effort of some American scholars in the
late 20th century. To say one or the other has more authority, we would
have to know the exact sources each worked from, how they decided on the
difficult meanings required for translation, whether they worked from
Latin, Greed, Aramaic, Hebrew, all of the above, maybe a few others...

There are some chapters, such as Isaiah 14 and most of Ecclesiastes, that
seem to me, personally, to lose their full meaning in any version but
KJV. Other chapters are more understandable in NIV or RSV, and clear as
mud in KJV. What matters is what insight you gain from each version you
read.

There was a governor of Texas named Ma Barker who refused to appropriate
state funds for teaching foreign languages in the public schools. She was
so taken with the KJV that she said "If English was good enough fer Jesus
Christ, its good enough fer Texas." Of course, Christians from the middle
east and east Africa find that ridiculous.