[GCFL-discuss] salvation by...

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri May 14 20:54:41 CDT 2004

Posh,
just what are you saying here?
Nancy

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net wrote:
I have a thought......

"IF AN able-bodied man dies can he live again?" asked the patriarch Job some 3,500 years ago. (Job 14:14)

In some lands, beliefs regarding the condition of the dead are a blend of local tradition and nominal Christianity. Among many Catholics and Protestants in West Africa, for instance, it is customary to cover mirrors when someone dies so that no one might look and see the dead person's spirit.

In the Bible, the words translated "spirit" basically mean "breath." But this implies much more than the act of breathing. The Bible writer James, for example, states: "The body without spirit is dead." (James 2:26) Hence, spirit is that which animates the body.

This animating force cannot simply be the breath, or air, moving through the lungs. Why not? Because after breathing stops, life remains in the body cells for a brief period—"for several minutes," according to The World Book Encyclopedia. For this reason, efforts at resuscitation can succeed. But once the spark of life is extinguished from the cells of the body, any efforts to restore life are futile. All the breath, or air, in the world cannot revive even one cell. The spirit, then, is the invisible life-force—the spark of life that keeps the cells and the person alive. This life-force is sustained by breathing.—Job 34:14, 15.

Is that spirit active only in humans? The Bible helps us to reach a sound conclusion in this matter. Wise King Solomon acknowledged that humans and animals "all have but one spirit," and he asked: "Who is there knowing the spirit of the sons of mankind, whether it is ascending upward; and the spirit of the beast, whether it is descending downward to the earth?" (Ecclesiastes 3:19-21) So animals as well as men are spoken of as having a spirit. How can that be?

The spirit, or life-force, can be compared to the electric current that flows through a machine or an appliance. The invisible electricity may perform various functions, depending on the type of equipment it powers. For example, an electric stove can be made to generate heat, a computer to process information, and a television set to produce images and sound. Yet, the electric current never takes on the features of the equipment it activates. It remains simply a force. Similarly, the life-force does not take on any of the characteristics of the creatures it animates. It has no personality and no thinking ability. Humans and animals "have but one spirit." (Ecclesiastes 3:19) When a person dies, therefore, his spirit does not go on existing in another realm as a spirit creature.

What, then, is the condition of the dead? And what happens to the spirit when a person dies?
Posh

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net wrote:
        Nancy,
  From what you wrote if I understood this correctly you wrote the same thing I was trying to write but I didn't explain near as clearly.
 To all,
   I mean no offense to anyone who believes differently but with out having accepted Christ according to the Bible your works mean nothing. It is clearly stated in the Bible that you have to have accepted Jesus to enter heaven.
       About the works thing we cannot just be saved by our works alone. Titus 3:5 clearly states this (KJV). Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he  ( Meaning Jesus) saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Jeff