[GCFL-discuss] Blood and Gore

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun May 16 22:43:31 CDT 2004

Oh, this is getting fun, I see Jeff had his own reply to Dave.

There is no point to weighing the merits of Gore, who has declined to run
again, or Clinton, who has served two terms and is barred by the XXII
Amendment from ever serving as president again. Bush, however, has been a
disaster, and needs to be replaced if we have any respect for our nation.

I do think Jeff's scenario about Gore turning the nation over to bin
Laden is highly unlikely. First, bin Laden doesn't really WANT to run our
country, he just wants to take some medium large deadly pot-shots at us.
I know, 3000 dead is not a pot-shot, except by comparison to the size and
population of our country, and what it would take to actually invade or
conquer us. Conquerors don't need to become terrorists, they march in an
army and take it all. Bin Laden just thinks he can hurt us enough that we
will leave what is important to him alone, or at least he can feel good
about making us feel his pain. (The rulers of Japan had a similar thought
in 1941 -- but they did have an army bent on conquest, at least of the
Pacific and Asia).

Any president would have done roughly what Bush did in Afghanistan. It
was an obvious thing to do, public opinion demanded something along that
line, and it was such a fortunate point of weakness for al Qaeda that we
had eager allies available to do most of the fighting on the ground, as
long as they got some tactical air support and supplies of ammunition.
Most potential presidents would not have gotten us into Iraq, including
Gore, Bradley, and McCain.

I have little respect for Gore, less for Clinton, and almost none for
Bush. Except I think on some level Bush is sincere; terribly wrong,
clumsy, misguided, deluded, but sincere. He is not trying to damage this
nation or inflict evil on the world.