[GCFL-discuss] Re: Ezekiel 18:4

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 17 22:17:48 CDT 2004

Posh, for most of the history of the Hebrews, at least until after the
Maccabbean revolt, there was little understanding that any soul lived on
eternally after death. greenBubble may have additional perspective to
offer, but from what I have read, it was a major point of contention
between the Pharisees and the Sadducees WHETHER there was any life after
death at all. The Saducees denied it, based on tradition, while the
Pharisees accepted the new-fangled idea. Note that in the Old Testament,
God does not threaten eternal punishment, but exile, plague, disaster in
this life for those who do not follow his commandments "I will turn
against Jacob..." So Ezekiel was literally denying that there IS a life
after death.

Siarlys

P.S. I think Nancy has stated before that she is Roman Catholic. It is
interesting to hear her speak of her faith in very similar terms to most
evangelical Protestants.