[GCFL-discuss] Marriage (Briefly)

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed May 19 19:40:09 CDT 2004

Just to keep things clear Lance, I don't particularly favor homosexual
marriage either. I'm not highly worked up about it, I wouldn't let it be
the issue that determines my vote for any candidate, or against any
candidate. But I believe that marriage is what it is, and homosexuals are
asking for something new, not inclusion in something that exists. Right
to privacy is one thing, there is no constitutional right to the
approval, recognition, and applause of your neighbors for the choices you
make in life. Maybe we don't want to endorse what you do. So live without
our endorsement.

Siarlys

P.S. After reading Jeff's remarks, I will add (not to clog up the
discussion with too many emails) that whether homosexuality is an
abomination or not, it is certainly an abberation. You don't even need a
Bible for that, Darwin is sufficient. Sexuality is all about dividing the
genes between two genders of one species. That is true of humans,
mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, anything more complicated than a
sponge. (Does anyone know of any biological studies that show any
evidence of homosexual acts in any other species?) Humans may be
imaginative enough, or depraved enough, depending on your perspective, to
fall into strange variations, but it will always be the desire or
practice of a minority of every new generation (each new baby of course
being the product of a man and a woman). Advocates of homosexual rights
will have to get used to the fact that it will never be "normal" even if
it becomes acceptable. But I don't feel virtuous about being
heterosexual. Its just the way I am. There is no easier command in the
Bible to obey than not to lie with a man as I would with a woman. It just
isn't tempting.