[GCFL-discuss] New topic

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat May 22 22:46:52 CDT 2004

My aunt was a ferry pilot for the B52 bombers and other planes during WWII and my uncle was a mule skinner in Italy.  Another uncle was on 3 different ships that went down in the Pacific.  My dad was not allowed to join because his expertise put him in the signal corp which was civilian at that time.  He could even tell Generals what to do when he was sent to trouble shoot on bases around the country.  I always thought that they all had a great deal to do with helping win the war.
Nancy

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net wrote:
Personally I think we have hashed the salvation thing enough.  We all have our ideas.  I have read with some interest some of the ideas that I hadn't thought about along these lines.
I would  like to propose a new subject to discuss.  The other day I was painting a lady's house as one of my business jobs.  In talking to her husband I found that in WWII he flew on B24 bombers our of England.  Since he was assigned to a Brittish air force unit they did not 'rotate' out after 25 missions.  He flew 79 missions over Germany!
After the war (he was the radioman on the bombers)  he was assigned to what became known as Air Force One as a radioman.  He flew with President's Truman, Eisenhower, Kenedy, Johnson, and Nixon.  He said Truman was the most congenial.  He would stop and visit with the regular Joe at the drop of a hat.  He hated being in the spotlight but he meant it when he said, "The buck stops here!"
Eisenhower was the greatest at getting the most out of a person.  He could get people to always do their best.  He was also extremely organized.
Kenedy he said was somewhat of a playboy.  Jackie was really nice.
Johnson was as egotistical ___!  He actually had his chairs elevated so everyone had to look up to him (and he could look down on everyone.)  He was quite rude and bulled his way through things.
Nixon was V.P. when he flew with him on a good-will tour to South America.  He thought they were going to be kidnapped in Venezuela, but, the Venezuelan army held the rebels off as they took off and left.  His wife told him after this trip that Nixon had a character flaw that would undo him if he wasn't careful.  We all know what happened.

Anyway, my idea is let's share stories of people we know that have impressed us.  I was very impressed with this man.  What a life that would be!
Frank
p.s.  You could tell about more than one person if you would like.   It could also maybe be great things we have done or been involved in.  Let's make it positive though.
Thanks.  If you have any other ideas they are welcome.
fm