[GCFL-discuss] Re: GCFL-discuss Cooked Geese

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Nov 26 17:53:44 CST 2004

Siarlys,

Oh, my, but you've opened a real can of worms here --  oops, I mean a gaggle of geese!

I don't see any objections to your plan, but I'll bet we get a lot of them in discussion!

I live across the street from a new city park converted from a former golf course. It has a small lake, and the geese are rampant. You won't find me swimming in the swimming area! There is a creek at one end of the park, but it's so polluted the geese won't congregate there. I think the solution is to get several pool cleaners circulating at random out in the lake, which hopefully would disturb the geese enough that they would scram. But then the fishermen and fisherwomen would complain that the fish were being disturbed!

I live in a small city in a rural area where there are plenty of wetlands for the geese, and you'd think they would congregate out there, but when the golf course was attempting to return to its natural wetlands area, the geese liked it a lot. I agree, we can't let wolves loose in a public park, but what a great idea! I know we have coyotes within a mile of the park (people complain about them overturning garbage cans all the time), but they don't come to the park. The city council is entertaining ideas, several of which you have mentioned, for sending the geese elsewhere.

I rather like your idea of an occasional declared hunting season which would condition these geese to stay out of sight of humans, avoid areas where human scent is
intense. And what a good education for city kids to know where some of the food supply comes from. I'm old enough to know how to kill a chicken, defeather it, clean it, etc.

My city has already allowed limited deer hunting in county and state parks, with very strict training before licensing, and the deer overpopulation is getting taken care of. Maybe I'll send your email to the city council!

kateinmo