[GCFL-discuss] Links to the past

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Oct 5 19:42:26 CDT 2004

Lance, I like finding things we can agree on. The easiest way to do that
seems to be when I can think of something our current president did
right. We will find other things, but this is the easiest. I thought of
one more.

In the fall of 2001, he was under pressure from some of his core
constituencies to declare that the military response to the attack on the
WTC and Pentagon were a war of Christianity against Islam. There were
many good reasons not to do that -- some pragmatic, others ethical. But
he didn't fall for it. He knew we needed allies in the region, who were
themselves Muslim, and I give him credit that he even knew it was no
glory to Jesus for us to kill adherents of another religion, wholesale,
or revive the discredited practice of conversion at the point of a
bayonet. If he had yielded to the excited outcry, we might even have
missed the initial swift tactical success in Afghanistan. Score two.