[GCFL-discuss] A Sobering Thought

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Oct 25 20:20:38 CDT 2004

This is the last thing that can only be said BEFORE the election results
are in.

The introduction may be a little annoying to some, but it is necessary to
get to the conclusion, so please bear with me.

I went to the library at a local Boys and Girls Club, where I usually go
in the afternoon to help with any homework that members bring in. Several
children were talking about how bad Bush is, which is general sentiment
in the neighborhood. When I briefly agreed, a young Lutheran college
student who has been doing excellent work with the children for a year
and a half cheerfully remarked that she is very committed to Bush.

So on to the conclusion, which we briefly discussed an hour or two later.
No matter who wins this election, very very close to one half the
American people are going to be bitterly disappointed. God help whoever
has to lead in that circumstance.

It is also interesting that people who can work together on so much else
get pulled into such antagonistic formations by the political aspirations
of a handful of men. On each individual issue that is being so bitterly
tossed around, probably 75% or more of us could agree on a workable
solution if it wasn't first and foremost the supply of ammunition for two
competing campaigns, and only secondarily a question to be resolved in
the best interests of the largest possible number.