[GCFL-discuss] How many can you relate to?

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Sep 10 15:21:23 CDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:22:24 -0400 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:

>Siarlys
>
>Well, I guess you don't have a way of knowing that you live in 2004.
>You'll just have to take our word for it.

If you look at it from an apocalyptic viewpoint, or a worst-case
environmentalist scenario, maybe I'm living in 2024. But I believe God
gave the sun a stable run of 10 billion years for a reason, and only 5
billion have been used up getting us this far.

>My family of 4 has 6 phone numbers: Home number, fax, my office
>number, my beeper and 2 cell numbers.  Not 15, but we're getting there.

At least your children don't all have their own cell phones yet.

>And just this morning, I walked back to my car from my office to
>retrieve my cellphone.
>
>I can spend hours on email.  But write a letter by hand?  UGH!
>On the other hand, at least you can read my email; you would not be
>able to if I wrote it longhand.  A handwriting expert would have advised
me to
>become a doctor.

True. I had a friend once who was a medical student. We used to joke
about the 3rd year class in illegible handwriting. I guess you could have
tested out of that one.

>By the way, after that discussion about the name "Sean" -- how do you
>pronounce "Siarlys"?

Roughly, Sharlis, or maybe more like Sharles, or somewhere in between.
Its hard to get the sounds right in a language you didn't grow up with,
unless you have a chance to really immerse yourself, which I haven't. It
definitely does not end in a z kind of s sound though. If you have ever
heard any spoken Welsh, imagine Charles pronounced with that sort of
accent.

>I think it should be pronounced surly.
>;-)
>Jeanene

Please Jeanene, you can do better than that.

Siarlys

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:36:05 -0500 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
>"By the way, after that discussion about the name "Sean" -- how do you
>pronounce "Siarlys"?"
>
>A question many have been wondering, nobody has wanted to ask.
>
>Eagle

How do you pronounce "Eagle"? It could reasonably be read eeahglay.

I used to make up new pronunciations for street names I was bored with.

BUOOK on on (Buchanan)