[GCFL-discuss]Hijacking books

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Sep 15 14:00:05 CDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:19:06 -0400 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
>To late, Osama bin Laden has already hijacked
>the Quran to suit his own needs and the needs of his followers...
>
>Dave

Dave,

If Osama bin Laden "has already hijacked the Quran," then Timothy McVeigh
"has already hijacked" our traditions as a nation "to suit his own needs
and the needs of his followers." Likewise, the Aryan Nations and its
associated Church of Jesus Christ, Christian, "have already hijacked" the
Gospel of Jesus Christ (and the books of Moses -- although they hate Jews
as much as any other "non-whites."

Perhaps I should add that Satan "has already hijacked" the Scriptures of
the Old Testament when he quoted them to tempt Jesus to turn stones into
bread, jump off the highest tower of the Temple, etc.

Use of something sacred in order to sanctify evil, does not deprive those
who uphold the original purpose of their sacred texts. I know many
Christians are less willing to accept the Quran as sacred than I am, but
it is sacred to those who follow Islam, and bin Laden's personal use of
the text is no more binding on other Muslims than Jerry Falwell's use of
the Bible is binding on me.