[GCFL-discuss] Washington

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Apr 6 19:16:43 CDT 2005

Like everyone, I enjoyed the joke about the balance between one
Washington and the other. I have never been to Washington State, I did
not know that it is especially known for diplomats, but from what I hear,
it has some beautiful country and some sensible people.

But did anyone notice what our laughs about the idiots in the "other
Washington" really mean? We elect those idiots, again and again, then
amuse ourselves over what idiots they are. In theory, Congress should be
the branch of government most representative of the people, because they
are elected every two years, according to population, by direct vote. But
the easiest job to be re-elected to, once you are in, is Congress. We are
such sheep, we just vote for the familiar name of the idiot who got the
job when someone retired -- or got in during the odd year when there was
a real fight. In 1994 a bunch of people got elected on a campaign for
term limits -- and none of them left office after the limited number of
terms was up. There is nothing harder to do than to mount an electoral
challenge against an incumbent in congress. Senators we pay a little more
attention, because they only run every six years. And don't forget the
presidents. From 1993-2001, all kinds of people who voted for Bill
Clinton laughed about the idiots in Washington. And I bet every member of
this discussion group who genuinely LIKES Dubya Augustus also chortled
over this joke about what idiots the folks in Washington are (remember,
the Republicans dominate all three branches of government, including both
houses of Congress). Yeah, idiots like Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rove,
Gonzalez... if Kerry had been elected, I could say the same thing about
HIS gang of idiots. So who are the REAL idiots here? We should all
consider voting for the Tupperware Party (new containers for old
fashioned values) -- check it out at www. jameswatkins.com.