[GCFL-discuss] mind over matter

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Aug 24 08:03:41 CDT 2005

Hi Frank
Yes I went to Europe...It was great.  It was a cruise, so we spent about 1 day in most stops.  Visited 10 cities in all.  We didn't do the organized tours, but chose to use public trains & buses and got around on our own.  People were very helpful even the French (outside of Paris)
We find ways to save money.   A tour with a guide ( whom you can't understand ) can cost $28.  If you hop on a bus you ride with the local people and see the city for $1.50    Rode through Venice on a boat bus, and saved a bunch of money.  Cathedrals are free.  And they are quite a marvel.
We use Rick Steves travel books, and they are very helpful.  So many historical spots.  I learned a lot from the experience.
I highly recommend it.

In a couple of weeks we are going back to see Brussels, Paris and London.
Carla (thanks for asking, I kept this short,aren't you glad)

        Newsletter article  July

        I remember  the days of long ago; I mediate on all your works and consider what your hands have done."  Psalm 143:5

        As many of you know Bob & I recently traveled to four different cities in Italy.  This gave us the opportunity to step back in time and see what was left of what man had built, and to see what God had  helped  man build and preserve.

        The coliseum in Rome looms large with it's dark stones, reminding us of a time when the Romans were in power.  Gladiators fought bloody battles and some lost their lives while crowds cheered.  It's a dreary place.  The dark stones were once covered with gleaming marble.  The marble was removed  and used to build St. Peters    Basilica, and other  cathedrals in Rome.  We left the ruins and went the few miles over to St. Peters, where crowds of people had gathered to visit.  Built in the middle ages, it still thrives.  Art work that professes Creation  and the Judgment of God, is seen by thousands.  The pavement in the square covers an area once used by the Romans for chariot races and making Christians into martyrs.  Now in that same spot a hushed crowd stands waiting for the pope to give his blessing and then breaks into applause.  I could not help but think this is a victory over evil.

        Pompeii, a city built for the pleasure of the wealthy, is a sad ruin.  A reminder of how quickly a man's life can end as he goes about his pursuits.        Venice built for the wealthy, although it has it's charm, is decaying and moldy.  Some buildings are vacant with the 1st floors uninhabitable.

        Ruins remind me of the people and cultures that have come and gone, often little remains and yet the mighty Cathedrals still stand, and are still being used for the same purposes for which they were built.  When they are destroyed by fire and wars they are often rebuilt on a grander scale than they had before.   They were built with simple primitive tools, yet they inspire awe, as we can see man has clearly built beyond himself, to the glory of God!

        God still calls us to "Live Beyond Ourselves", and to

        use our skills to build his kingdom, to work not only for God, but with God.  His purposes will    prevail.  Nothing can stop Him or His Church.

  You are right of coarse Carla.

  I have a question for you.  Did you go to Europe this summer?  I seem to remember you saying you were going to (or, was it somewhere else?)  Anyway, if so did you have a good trip?  We would like a report ( if you feel so inclined. )

  Frank

  http://mail.yahoo.com