[GCFL-discuss] Fw: Re: Fw: WISDOM

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Jul 16 21:25:09 CDT 2005

I received this from my friend I didn't hear from for 30 years after high
school, who was disabled by post polio syndrome less than a year after
her husband died, and 18 years after doctors first told her that her post
polio syndrome would keep her immobilized for life. (She beat it for 18
years before she really could't maintain a high energy level, drive, or
go out without a scooter). This isn't about her, its about Rose. Its a
great story.
Siarlys
WE SHOULD ALL LEARN FROM THIS.
The first day of school our professor introduced
himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know.
stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.
I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old
lady beaming up at me with a
smile that lit up her entire being.

! She said, "Hi handsome. My name is Rose.
I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?"
I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of
course you may!" and she gave me a giant squeeze.
"Why are you in college at such a young, innocent
age?" I asked.
She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich
husband, get married, and
have a couple of kids..."
"No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may
have motivated her to be
taking on this challenge at her age.
"I always dreamed of having a college education
and now I'm getting one!"
she told me.
After class we walked to the student union
building and shared a chocolate
milkshake.
We became instant friends. Every day for the next
three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was
always mesmerized listening to this "time machine" as she shared her
wisdom and
experience with me.
Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus
icon and she easily made
friends wherever she went.
She loved to dress up and she reveled in the
attention bestowed upon her
from the other students. She was living it up.
At the end of the semester we invited Rose to
speak at our football banquet.
I'll never forget what she taught us. She was
introduced and stepped up to
the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared
speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor.
Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned
into the microphone and simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up
beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech
back in order so let me just tell you what I know."
As we laughed she cleared her throat and began,
"We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop
playing. There are only four secrets to staying young,
being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor
every
day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.
We have so many people walking around who are dead
and don't even know it!
There is a huge difference between growing older
and growing up.
If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for
one full year and don't do
one productive thing, you will turn twenty y ears
old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never
do
anything I will turn eighty-eight.
Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any
talent or ability. The idea is
to grow up by always finding opportunity in
change. Have no regrets.
The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we
did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear
death are those with regrets."
She concluded her speech by courageously singing
"The Rose."
She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and
live them out in our daily lives.
At the year's end Rose finished the college degree
she had begun all those
years ago.
One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in
her sleep.
Over two thousand college students attended her
funeral in tribute to the
wonderful woman who taught by example that it's
never too late to be all you can possibly be.
When you finish reading this, please send this
peaceful word of advice to
your friends and family, they'll really enjoy it!
These words have been passed along in loving
memory of ROSE.
REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP
IS OPTIONAL.
We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by
what we give.
God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.
If God brings you to it, He
will bring you through it.
CAVEAT: I USUALLY DON'T PASS ON MESSAGES WHICH END WITH THE WORDS BELOW.
PROMISING MIRACLES AND INSINUATING THREATS REMINDS ME OF "CAST YOURSELF
DOWN FROM THE HIGHEST TOWER OF THE TEMPLE, AND GOD WILL SEND ANGELS TO
BEAR YOU UP." ITS TESTING GOD, EITHER WAY. BUT THE STORY IS SO GOOD, I
HAD TO PASS IT ALONG. AND I WON'T DELETE ANYTHING, SO I'M STICKING IN MY
TWO CENTS WORTH AS A DISCLAIMER. AS MY PASTOR SAYS, IF YOU GIVE YOU WILL
BE BLESSED, BUT IF YOU GIVE FOR THE PURPOSE OF GETTING THE BLESSING, YOU
HAVE ALREADY TAINTED THE GIFT.
Pass this message to 7 people except you and me.
You will receive a miracle tomorrow
If you choose not, then you refuse to bless
someone else.
"Good friends are like stars.........You don't
always see them, but you know
they are always there."