[GCFL-discuss] Blonde jokes

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Jun 1 22:31:40 CDT 2005

I have always said that blonde jokes are my favorite prejudice.

Of course I have never been blonde. I do freely admit that, as with any
other prejudice, when I get to know someone personally who happens to be
blonde, they do not fit the stereotypes: they are not "a blonde" they are
<NAME> -- a unique individual.

A friend of mine, who is of the female persuasion, has gently admonished
me to get off the blonde jokes, but has not stopped speaking to me when I
pass one along. She mentions that she was blonde once. I responded "You
got over it." (Her hair is naturally black, and currently arranged in a
combination of dreads and braids).

It is good to leaven blonde jokes with the turnabout variety, which GCFL
has done -- I mean like the story of the smart blonde who parked her
Mercedes in a bank's guarded storage facility for a month for $15.

Why are blonde jokes appealing? Because there is a certain stereotype
that blondes are glamorous, attractive, appealing, high status, that
every woman wishes she were a blonde, or flaunts that she's got it and
others don't. I enjoy laughing at any conventional assumption like that,
and blonde jokes, when in good taste, serve the purpose.

I note that it was a blonde woman who could care less who told me the
joke, "What do you call a blonde with two brain cells?" (The
scientifically untenable answer is "Pregnant."