[GCFL-discuss] Burning Houses

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Jun 3 08:33:51 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:37:00 -0700 (PDT) gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
I wonder if the modern day Aryan Nations (a violent white-supremisist
organization)  is an off shoot of the KKK or what?  Anyone?  Frank

I haven't studied it in detail, but I understand it is not so much an
offshoot as something that moved into the vacuum. Both Aryan Nations and
KKK are somewhat disorganized collections of rival organizations, both
link "white" and "Christian" as somehow related, in order to define
themselves. What's left of the KKK seems to be trying to smooth their
image, show what nice guys and good citizens they are, while those who
really want to kill and blow things up (or talk about it) are going to
Aryan Nations. One of the funnier things about Aryan Nations is the talk
of "our Anglo-Celtic heritage." I do have both Anglo and Celtic
ancestors, and I know that these two tribal groups spent most of their
respective histories burying axes in each other's skulls. The original
ethnic slur in colonial Virginia was "Scotchman" -- long before either
Anglos or Scots thought of Africans as anything but exotic. Truth be
told, most members of the Klan probably had African ancestors,
inter-marriage among all but the wealthiest being a common thing from
1630-1820. Most Southern Baptists have ancestors baptized and saved
during revivals by evangelists who were of African descent. Ethnic
identity is not a very stable thing. It changes every 20-200 years. At
the time the civil rights movement began, Jim Crow laws had only been on
the books for about 60 years.