[GCFL-discuss] Prayers

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jun 14 10:09:45 CDT 2005

This month, I was at the high school graduation of a friend's
grand-daughter.

I noticed that prayer and religious themes were evident throughout the
ceremony.

Nobody has complained or gone to court about it. Why not?

First, not one person present was offended. It is a little known fact
that without someone present and directly affected, someone with standing
to sue, all the stables of lawyers kept by the ACLU, Liberty Counsel,
FFRF, ACLJ, are absolutely helpless to do anything about it.

Second, there was no government action involved. The valedictorian's
speech was one long prayer. I think. She opened with a prayer, and I
couldn't tell any point up to the end where it stopped being a prayer.
That is her individual speech, so it is free exercise, not establishment.
Then, the commencement speaker, who was Miss America 2004, told all the
graduates that most of the people she graduated from high school with are
in prison, in and out of jail, dead or divorced (at age 23) -- and she
avoided those fates by always staying in prayer. Again, no government
enforcement involved, just this individual saying what she chose to say.

If I wanted to be cynical, I could add that no liberal democrat would
dare to object to prayer in a predominantly African-American school,
because it would offend one of their most loyal voting bases. But that
just goes to show that people are a lot more complex than most
politicians and poll takers give us credit for.

Siarlys

P.S. The school choir puts out some excellent gospel CDs too. Again, no
complaints, no court action. Just relax and enjoy the music.