[GCFL-discuss] Memorial Day

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 30 09:53:09 CDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:47:04 -0700 (PDT) gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
It's been awful quiet lately.  I thought I would put in something.
Since it's memorial day this weekend, I would like to hear any stories
about family members or acquaintances who have served in the military.

My great-great-grandfather from eastern Tennessee served in the United
States army from 1861-1865. I don't know of a diary, but his discharge
papers were signed by President Abraham Lincoln. I think his health was
OK when he left the army but the Ku Klux Klan tried to burn his house
down a couple of times in later years. He had some cousins who were
veterans of attempts to invade the United States in 1862 and 1863, and I
have heard that they kept shooting at each other for years after the war
ended.

My father served in the navy during World War II, but they kept him in
Corpus Christi to train radio operators. I used to be disappointed that
he didn't have such exciting war stories as my friends' fathers did, but
my father had no complaints.