[GCFL-discuss] Blonde jokes

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue May 31 12:57:30 CDT 2005

When I was a kid, these very jokes were known as Polack jokes... btw, I never knew a Polack was a person from Poland.  In high school they were dead baby (gruesome and highly offensive to me now) jokes.  In college they were Aggie jokes, now they are blonde jokes.  I guess they could be considered racist.  But that classification doesn't fit.

I want to be able to tell funny stories and not hurt people's feelings.  But it also seems to be true that some people are just overly sensitive!

We often poke fun at ourselves and it is truly funny.  But when an outsider says the same thing it is humiliating, insensitive, rude, racist, whatever.  I love the book Growing Up Born-Again as it tells it like it was for me growing up.  I find it fascinating that someone else could have had the same experiences I did!  And I think tomorrow's funny is funny.  It certainly is true for the few religions I have knowledge of!

I don't know the answer to the joke-telling problem.  I am not a blonde and I really don't think blondes are collectively stupid, but it seems benign to have a joke at their expense.

Thanks for asking the question, John.

Jeanene