[GCFL-discuss] 'When I grow up'

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Nov 15 19:58:05 CST 2005

I would have to repond that this is a brand of humor common among
Christians, either children who get an amusingly extreme message from a
Scripture lesson, or hear a pun without realizing it is a pun. (For
instance, "Pontius the Pilot" for "The Flight Into Egypt," or "Gladly the
Cross-Eyed Bear"). Did you know that the deity has two first names, Andy
and Howard? These come from the hymn, Andy Walks With Me, Andy Talks With
Me (the words are really "and he walks with me") -- and from the prayer
"Our Father who art in heaven, Howard be thy name." So the child takes
Jonah's call to prophesy, and gets the idea that ANY grown man who does
not accept such a mission WILL be swallowed by a fish. Such jokes help us
to remember that we really don't know as much as we pretend we do.

Siarlys

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:24:07 -0500 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Am I missing something?  I presume the "swallowed by a big fish" is a
reference to Jonah, but why would he think that he has to be a missionary
to avoid that fate?

greenBubble