[GCFL-discuss] Kitchen/Cooking

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Jan 29 15:02:29 CST 2006

Thought I'd put in my two cents worth, too.

  When I first married, I worked full time and did all the housework, cooking and shopping. It was the 60's, but my husband's mindset was still in the early 50's. After two kids, several jobs, and still doing all the housework, cooking, shopping and taking care of the kids, I divorced him. Now  don't jump all over me for living that life style. At the time I didn't know I had other choices. (That's a whole 'nother story.)

  I decided I would be single the rest of my life. I built a great life and I was doing just fine living by myself. Had lots of friends, men and women, and great relationships with my kids. One evening when I was having dinner with one of the good male friends, I looked at him and said to myself, "Wow! I've really been missing something here!"

  We've now been together 12 years. He cooks better than I do, and I'm a darned good cook. We shop together most of the time and cook together sometimes (our kitchen is too small for both of us to cook together very often). He cooks most of the time and I'm happy to do the clean up. He's in grad school, making a mid-life career change. When he's finished and has a job (he'll be a college math professor), we plan to buy a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other. The first thing we'll do is rip out the kitchen and put in a new one with his and hers sides. He's 6 feet tall; I'm 5 feet tall. Half the kitchen will be his height, and the other half will be my height. Needless to say, I can't wait for him to get out of school !!!

  The greatest thing he has taught me about cooking is that if I have a cooking disaster, just throw it out. I grew up in poverty, and throwing away food is really difficult. It's a good thing my cooking disasters don't happen very often. lol !!!  The second greatest thing he has taught me about cooking is to experiment. I was always a "follow the recipe down to the last detail" kind of cook, but now I'm more adventurous and having more fun with cooking. Too bad I can't send you guys some of my homemade 100% whole-wheat bread. It's darned good stuff. Even people who say they hate whole-wheat bread like it. It's so good that several friends buy it from me. Not too shabby for a self-taught cook.

  kateinmo aka Kay