[GCFL-discuss] You Know You're From or In Pennsylvania If...

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 22 08:18:17 CDT 2006

You all know I have an opinion on every subject under the sun. I am not
from Pennsylvania, but my mother's father's family is -- from
Wilkes-Barre in fact, so I know how to pronounce it, and also all the
Welsh names. I knew about groundhog day even growing up in Wisconsin --
did anyone know there is an actual basis to that tale, in England,
although it doesn't really apply in America? We have Amish in Wisconsin
too (hex sign). I learned what a "state store" was in Ohio. I learned
about piroshki (close relative of pierogie) in California. I learned
about "sticky buns" in Ohio, from people born in West Virginia -- my
mother makes them, but simply calls them sweet rolls. I eat cold pizza,
even for breakfast, and my friends (no matter what state I live in at the
time) consider it barbaric. Scrapple I learned about reading Michener's
book Centennial, but it is sold in some stores in the DC area.
Massachusetts also is a commonwealth, and New Jersey also has townships
and bouroughs. New York City has boroughs. Don't know about some of that
other stuff, must be from Philly. (Pittsburgh and Philly have
historically been about as unlike as Philly and Ohio). Let's see, is
there a point to all this? I suppose, each state has different patterns,
but they all seem to be made out of the same collection of pieces.

Siarlys

On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:46:26 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
My husband Martin says it's all true and copied and sent it to his
parents!
What a funny place to be from.  I don't know how to pronounce any of
those names except the Monongahela River.  My husband said that plenty of
times because the Steelers used to play at Three Rivers' Stadium and one
of those three rivers is the Monongahela.
Jeanene