[GCFL-discuss] Amendments

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Oct 24 09:09:34 CDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 09:43:39PM -0500, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List wrote:
> Saturday I dropped off a passenger on a walker at a Roman Catholic Church
> in Milwaukee. I noticed a blue sign on the lawn, saying "VOTE NO." I was
> quite surprised. A Roman Catholic Church urging a no vote on the
> constitutional amendment to tighten the definition of marriage?

I thought non-profits had to stay out of politics, at
least offically...

> Both items on the ballot this November were tactical moves by the current
> Republican majority in the legislature. Both are part and parcel of the
> same general strategy. There are however, powerful currents among the
> electorate that will lead many people to vote for one, and against the
> other, or vice versa, as well as unorthodox reasons to vote for or
> against both.

I fail to see the Republican strategy you speak of.
Perhaps to get more voters to the polls?

> I'm voting NO on both of course. Wisconsin has gotten along just fine
> without a death penalty since the 1850s, and generally had a lower crime
> rate than its more homicidal neighbors. And if we need to write a
> definition of marriage (which was ordained of G-d, not by the authority
> of the state) into the state constitution, then we might as well adopt
> amendments to make clear that the sky is blue, and that in this state,
> the sun shall rise in the east and set in the west. Our legislators have
> displayed such weak faith, putting what G-d has ordained up for a vote in
> the first place.

The writers of the declaration of independence felt it was
necessary to spell out God given rights.  Several
amendments spell out details that might be considered
obvious (slavery abolished, race no bar to vote, women's
suffrage, poll tax barred).  Perhaps clarifying legal
marriage is also necessary, at least on a state level.

jp

--
"I don't have to walk my dog anymore. I walked him all at
once. He was fun when he was a puppy. I named him Stay.

Have a great day and don't forget to laugh!

http://www.gcfl.net (The Good, Clean Funnies List): Good,
clean daily funnies you can safely tell your Mom!