[GCFL-discuss] Jim does it again

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Sep 25 21:18:44 CDT 2006

I received this in a monthly SPAM-O-GRAM from Christian writer James
Watkins. I think the idea is excellent.

Siarlys

MY IRAQ EXIT STRATEGY . . .

Sixteen departments of United States intelligence community have
concluded that, according to the NEW YORK TIMES, "the American invasion
and occupation of Iraq has helped spawn a new generation of Islamic
radicalism and that the overall terrorist threat has grown since the
Sept. 11 attacks."  I'm no expert on international politics, but I wrote
over a year ago:

"Based on terrorists' beliefs, I don't believe we can win a war on
terrorism by invading terrorist-friendly countries.  That appears to have
only alienated our allies and motivated the terrorists."

Emboldened by the affirmation of my amateur assessment, here's an idea
for how to withdraw from Iraq:

EVERY DAY THERE ARE NO TERRORIST BOMBINGS IN IRAQ, THE UNITED STATES
WITHDRAWS ONE THOUSAND SOLDIERS.  (AS A GOODWILL GESTURE, THE U.S. COULD
IMMEDIATELY WITHDRAW ONE THOUSAND SOLDIERS.)

It seems like a logical, win/win strategy in both side's interests.
Unfortunately, the US is dealing with an illogical enemy that will only
be satisfied when it wins and its enemies lose.  It may, however, put
responsibility on the terrorists (U.S. soldiers are there because
terrorists keep bombing innocent civilians) and give America the moral
high ground it seems to have lost as a result of the invasion.  Just an
idea!

© 2006 James N. Watkins  (www.jameswatkins.com)

And if you like the idea, copy and paste this section, then email it to
the President:

comments at whitehouse.gov