[GCFL-discuss] Siarlys

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Apr 25 21:05:11 CDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:57:58 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
I haven't heard a peep out of you for ages.
What's going on in your world?
Jeanene

Interesting question. I'm working on an encyclopedia article on Servants
-- a global overview from 1750 to the present, 2000 words. The publisher
doesn't know that I am also driving a paratransit bus, but I like to
think that my life will be a refutation of Aldous Huxley's Brave New
World. In other words, God (contrary to the implications of Huxley's
veneration of "Our Ford," I believe there is one) fully intended for us
to all be alphas, and for alphas to do physical labor as well as mental
labor.

I actually got a response from an intelligent husband and father in
Tennessee to an article I posted on the abortion noncontroversy.
Naturally I responded back at great length, as is my usual habit on any
subject. If anyone wants to get into the discussion, it is available at

http://siarlysjenkins.blogspot.com/2007/03/what-abortion-campaign.html

I'm going to post another one soon on the recent Supreme Court decision.
Doing the math behind the opinions, it comes out 7-2 for Roe v. Wade,
with only a few details being up for grabs. My reading is that the court
acted like a court, said nothing about whether the "Partial Birth
Abortion" law was a good or bad idea, and simply said, yeah, that's
within Congress's authority to bat back and forth if they choose to. The
media is always too quick to find a sound byte, and so are the advocacy
groups and opposing attorneys.
Federal courts have a guiding principal that if there is any reasonable
interpretation of a law that would make it constitutionally acceptable,
courts will adopt that interpretation. The court did so, and in doing so
it has ruled out most of the dangers feared by the original plaintiffs
who asked for injunctions against the law's enforcement. It is also
rather odd that a pro-life senator like Santorum pushed a law to
establish a bright-line distinction between infanticide and abortion -- I
thought the whole point of the pro-life argument was that there is no
distinction??? Anyway, after reading the ruling, I find it has very
little significance.
But you asked about me, not what have I been running my mouth about
lately. I took a week vacation to visit friends in DC, expecting temps in
the 60s and 70s (April is generally one of the best months to be there,
October is the other), but it hovered around 34. We have had about four
April days since I returned to Wisconsin, but today was another February
day.
I'm trying to ration the available sunlight in my window among three
types of plants, African violets and some other stuff I can't remember
the name of, and getting my bike tuned up at the shop so the rear brake
won't drag on the wheel.
What's new with you?
Siarlys
P.S. Yes, "gummint" is slang for government. Its either West Virginia, or
southern, or rural, or hillbilly (my hillbilly ancestors fought for the
union, as did many in Georgia, North Carolina and Alabama), or something.
I think the most common saying is "not bad for gummint work," which means
not really very good at all.