[GCFL-discuss] Emergency Alert

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Nov 5 20:47:42 CST 2007

OK, first of all, this letter is a parody. The Wittenburg Door promotes
itself as offering "Spirited Satire Since 1517," although the magazine is
in fact only about 30 years old. It was founded by the late Mike
Yaconelli, and is currently maintained by the Trinity Foundation in
Dallas Texas.

Dobson IS an open critic of almost any kind of environmental
conservation. The parody is a close approximation of the truth. Like Pat
Robertson, whose "Christian Voters Guide" for Nov 2000 devoted more
attention to taxing energy (bad) than faith and family issues, and like
the late Jerry Falwell, Dobson has a real problem with recycling,
decreasing emissions, conserving forests, cutting down on carbon dioxide.
Dr. Dobson called for the resignation of the Rev. Richard Cizik,
president for the National Association of Evangelicals, some months ago,
because he believed that Cizik was spending too much time worrying about
global warming and not enough time spent on “core” issues, such as
abortion and same-sex marriages. In this respect, Dobson is at odds with
pastors such as Rick Warren, and other members of The Evangelical Climate
Initiative (www.Christiansandclimate.org), who view these things as
Christian stewardship. Dobson views the whole subject through a
Dispensationalist view that, we might as well use up whatever is around,
because soon the rapture is coming anyway. (James Watt pronounced this
view when he was Reagan's secretary of the Interior.)

So, yes, it is a joke, but a joke with some real meaning.

Siarlys

P.S. Sorry your funny bone wasn't striken by this one Jeanene. You're
missing out on some good laughs. Robert E. Lee would have loved it.

P.P.S. It is not accurate that the Door is ONLY about satire. It also has
some top quality interviews with some fascinating real people, clergy and
otherwise, and the published, Ole Anthony, gets a "last word" column at
the end that is always very serious, and which I only about half agree
with, on average.

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:28:29 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
You're joking right?? He's not really looking to stop recycling and
increasing emissions?? That doesn't make any sense. Or is that the joke?
I'm confused.
~Lance

On 11/3/07, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List