[GCFL-discuss] horsy-dorvees

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Jan 19 18:55:25 CST 2008

When I was around 13, I read the word as horse deveurs. My mother became
quite upset, since I had been taking French on and off in 4th, part of
5th, 7th and 8th grades. Mom thought I should know how to pronounce the
word. However, I was reading it in a cookbook, otherwise written in
English, and had never run across it in French. I have also heard it
pronounced horse divers. I once had an ambition to open a French
restaurant outside the gates of a military base, to be called Hors
d'oevres and Commands. Then I would open one at a truck stop, to be
called Les Cargo.

Among the many things I have to be thankful for, is that I was able to
write all of the above without having had any painful dental work done
recently.