[GCFL-discuss] [GCFL.net] America's Independence Day

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Jul 16 21:17:15 CDT 2008

This sounds like the time I told my local union president I was bringing
my Little Brother to the Labor Day parade. A younger woman driver asked,
"Your mama is still having kids?!?!?" (I'm 54 after all, so my mother
must be... she'll be 80 late next year.)

Keyan has a dark brown complexion, which in America is often referred to
by the quaint name of "black." Like a South African judge once asked
Stephen Biko, "Why do you call yourselves black? You people are more
brown than black." And as Biko answered the judge "Why do you call
yourselves white? You people are more pink than white."

Keyan's complexion is no direct reflection on my own ancestry, because we
were matched through Big Brothers Big Sisters. However, I suspect that my
mother's mother's family, which has been in East Tennessee since God was
very young, includes some African ancestry. People there who can trace
their ancestry WAY back are, among other things, descended from runaways
who fled Virginia, and often inter-married, without much concern about
the complexion of those they ran away with. Naturally, as things because
more "civilized" and it counted for something to be "white," those who
could, did. I suspect that two thirds of the so-called "white" people in
America are part African, just as 90% of the "black" people are part
European, and half of us are part Native American.

Siarlys

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:01:11 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies