[GCFL-discuss] Lousy Cooks?

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Jul 27 20:19:07 CDT 2008

Wow, who knew all this could have come out of one joke about lousy cooks.
John must be proud of himself. And in a presidential election year, not
one word about candidates either.

All I'll say about what works or doesn't is to repeat that every
individual situation is unique. I agree with Lance that a lot of
superficial infatuations are being passed off under names like "partner"
as a substitute for genuine long-term commitment. I doubt that God much
cares whether a truly committed couple has a license from the city hall,
or exactly what brand of spiritual commitment they wrapped themselves in.
Taking the whole subject seriously is what is important.

As to my own situation, the lady's work hours are no obstacle. It took
five years to recognize we really can appreciate each other long term,
and we're both too old to go looking again. Besides, I don't want to
look. I want to drift together when I'm not even looking, and I did.

I don't know if I'm ready to type up my recipes, many of which are in my
head anyway. My source for Chicken Kiev is, (drum roll) Joy of Cooking
(1975 - I don't trust the more recent ones). Cottage cheese onion dill
bread, is from the Tassajara Bread Book. I xeroxed the page from my
sister's copy. I only have two cook books, but my sister recently gave
away a few hundred, and still has more than she gave away.

Your crock-pot roast recipes are interesting, but my father makes
something that I christened "least bad stew" which gives you an idea of
how I relate to watery foods. I like everything crisp and crunchy: meat,
bread, veggies, fruit...

Siarlys

P.S. You've finally provided a justification for the automatic bread
mixer and baker machines. I never could understand why anyone with sense
(that leaves out the sheeple Lance often talks about) would pay $200 for
such a thing. Can't knead with arthritis... OK, you have a good reason.