[GCFL-discuss] 35 years?

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Mar 14 21:48:10 CDT 2008

Obviously, I don't trust Hillary, and see some good potential in Obama. I
don't trust McCain either. Before Edwards dropped out, I was torn between
him and Obama. I think a southern cotton mill worker's son offers a good
foundation for pulling the country together on some kind of basis most of
us can be proud of (not 45% of us plus 6% of the 10% that really swing
elections, but most of us.) In the general election, he might have
broader appeal than a man with a mother from Kansas and a father from
Kenya.

Remember in 1996 when Sen. Bob Dole criticized Hillary Clinton's book,
"It Takes a Village"? He said "It doesn't take a village to raise a
child, it takes a family." He was wrong -- one reason a lot more children
are a lot more out of control these days is that families have to do it
all, while it really takes a much larger network of adults to make a
child into a well-rounded adult, or even a well-rounded child. Family is
central, but not sufficient. On the other hand, Hillary's book openly
advocated that in the modern world, government is that village. Its not,
and it can't be. That is as good a paradigm as any for why I don't trust
her. Government has responsibilities, but it is not the village.

I am a little disappointed with Obama right now. His campaign is spending
too much time sending me emails on the delegate count and the
fundraising. The media started that, but I would like him to rise above
it, in a way he isn't doing. I don't care who is ahead in the delegate
count, I want to hear the latest on why anyone should WANT to vote for
him. I'm alos looking for candidates with the courage to tell their own
constituencies, Democrat or Republican, that it is time to stop
politicizing marriage, get it out of silly lawsuits and constitutional
amendments, and really, its no business of the federal government anyway.
But underneath it all, I see inspiration to move a program forward,
budget skills to sort out what we want to pay for and what we don't, and
how we will finance it, and a great opportunity to mend ties with the
rest of the world while holding with firm integrity to our better
principles as a nation. Yeah, he's a liberal, but liberals have been
putting money into funding community police presence that conservatives
seem to gut when they get the chance. Among other things.

Siarlys

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:07:21 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Thanks Green!!
~Lance

On 3/13/08, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List