[GCFL-discuss] Prodigous!

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Sep 5 11:15:08 CDT 2008

I *am* a Republican.  I just wanted to know why you thought so.  :-)  Aren't
all Arizonans Republican?  That's what I overheard last night at dinner out.

I worked this year for my County Elections Board and had a blast!  Other
than voting (and a small part at playing a Barry Goldwater supporter in high
school by wearing a little tiny black eyeglasses pin), I have not been
involved in elections, but this year I decided to do it in grand fashion.  I
volunteered to be the Inspector and was placed in a precinct very near my
home.  I was busy a couple of hours on Monday night and then bright and
early Tuesday morning (5AM!) I arrived and my team and I got hustling and
had everything ready for voters to arrive at 6am.  There was a total of 8 of
us:  Inspector Republican me), Marshal (has to be opposite my party), Judge
of the Opposite Party (also had to be a democrat), Judge of the Same Party
(self-explanatory), two Special Situation Clerks, one ID Clerk, and a
floating clerk.  The two Judges, a mother and daughter team (!) were
studiously keeping track of the number of voters we had per hour and then at
the end put all of our salaries and the cost of the facility charge (I knew
all of that as Inspector) together and divided it by the number of voters
who voted in our precinct and figured that it cost our precinct almost $32
per vote!  OUCH!  They weren't required to keep track of those statistics,
they just wanted to do something to pass the time because we were so bored
waiting for voters.  I was appalled at what it costs to have voting take
place.  I know from personal experience that the General Election will bring
people out in droves and thus the cost per vote will decrease dramatically,
but it was nice to get a little experience under less insane circumstances.
The day was spent leisurely commanding my portion of the election army.
Until, of course, the poll closed.  Then things got crazy again!  We spent
the next hour closing the Accu-Vote machine and the Touch Screen Accu-Vote
machines, counting Early Ballots turned in on election day instead of
mailed, and had a grand old time trying to figure out what items went into
which bags.  It was CRAZY!  But with a fearless leader like myself, we
actually got it all done correctly!  Except that when I got out of the car
at the Official Receiving Center, I realized I still had the official keys
on my arm!  I had forgotten all about them.  Oops.  They accepted them from
me and didn't make a fuss.  There were so many others there that had mucked
up their jobs horribly, that I was smelling sweet in comparison.  I was back
to the precinct by 9:30 pm.  A 16.5 hour workday.  And we weren't allowed to
leave the polling place for any reason.  I look forward to being Inspector
for the General Election in November.  A surprise for me was the fact that
when anything was done that had anything to do with the actual votes
(assisting a voter in the secrecy booth, printing and removing result tapes
from the different machines, locking and sealing the actual ballots, and
transporting the official and un-official items to the receiving station), a
Republican and a Democrat had to be present for it and agree.  Before now, I
had never spent the time to think about how ballot boxes could be stuffed,
but I saw a way to do it this week.  ALL eight of the poll workers would
have to be in it together and sworn to secrecy.  There's no way that would
happen here since there were opposite parties involved.  And why (other than
superior intelligence) would that Democrat agree to vote for a Republican?
I learned a lot about the official process of voting.  And they are paying
me for it!  I thought it was a volunteer position.  I guess I could turn my
payment back into reducing the national debt.
Every once in a while, it's a good idea to call out
"Computer, end program," just to check. - D. Noelle