[GCFL-discuss] How Times Have Changed

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Feb 26 09:28:56 CST 2009

NYS has standardized tests, called Regents Exams, for HS students.  for
math & sciences, high-tech calculators are required.  plotting a graph?
use the calculator.  look up a logarithm or trig function?
fugetaboutit.  2 clicks and you have it to as many decimal places as you
can handle.
The flip side is that when we were young, the fractions always worked
out to easy numbers, and a little thought would save you a ton of work.
nowadays, you can't make that assumption.

Who uses maps these days?  you want to know where something is, you go
to mapquest or google.  last week, my daughter took a wrong turn and got
lost.  she called me for directions.  i had her drive around a bit just
to get my bearings and then i told her how to get home.  Once home, i
said to her, "you know there are maps in the door pocket, don't you?"
Her response: "Like I know what to do with a map??!"

BTW, that's one blessing of the cellphone:  when getting directions, the
person giving directions can know exactly what the driver sees and can
point out landmarks in real time.

greenBubble

Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] How Times Have Changed

Good for your mom! ?Calculators were big, rare and expensive when I was
in school, but my current philosophy is, nobody should use a calculator
until they can do basic arithmetic in their head, know multiplication
tables, etc. THEN they can start using calculators when the simple
arithmetic is NOT the point of the exercise, just something that
incidentally has to be done to get to the solution.

Free information on becoming a Graphic Designer. Click Now!
<http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2142/fc/BLSrjpTOroz4y3TkrAghelRK0lH
UF6HDGbtiXFzzfiwPaIInWPOjUViHkfm/>

and are intended only for the addressee(s).
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to Central.SecurityOffice at siemens.com

Thank you