[GCFL-discuss] How Times Have Changed

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Feb 27 21:04:40 CST 2009

Oh no. Another bit of life that Jeanene and I agree on. Maps are
fascinating. When I'm not poring over them, I draw imaginary maps,
roughly in the same spirit as the Middle Earth and Narnia maps, but,
different patterns inhabited by different populations. Never did get
around to writing a novel to flesh them out. I also like maps of the
medieval world, any part of the world.

Siarlys

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:58:30 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
greenBubble,
I LOVE maps.  I love all of them:  paper ones, globe ones, online ones,
fabric ones, old ones, new ones, out-of-date ones, GPS ones.  There is a
map store in my town and I could spend 40 hours a week there just
absorbing and searching and poring over maps.  I love MAPS!  I am even
addicted to GoogleEarth.  When someone tells me about a place, I always
look it up on GE so I can see what it looks like from the air, what it's
near, etc etc.  I have an innate sense of direction and can almost always
point accurately N, S, E or W.  Even as a child, I have always known how
we got someplace and how to leave and return.  I think it's because I was
always curious and aware of my surroundings.  I was aware of street names
and could give good directions.
On the other hand, my eldest daughter is hopelessly directionally
challenged.  She doesn't have a clue!  When she moved from Tucson (big
and spread out) to southern CA, we bought her a GPS.  She could not have
functioned in a new place without one.  I like the idea of driving on
streets all over the place just to get to know an area.  I like to drive.
The generation of kids who don't know how to look up a word in the
dictionary or find a business in the Yellow Pages scares me a little...
I think I might like being a taxi or bus driver, but I am afraid of
crazies.  It seems not unlike working in a Circle K/ 711/MiniMart kind of
place where your life is in almost constant danger from bad guys.
Jeanene
- People complain I'm absorbed and self-centered.  And this affects me
how?