[GCFL-discuss] Fw: [GCFL.net] Community Service

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Jul 31 20:25:02 CDT 2009

That was cute, but it misses the great contradiction of how we look at
congress.

Most of us despise congress as an institution, and there is good reason
for that. I recently read that the passage of landmark legislation has
become as common as politicians refusing to run television ads. It just
doesn't seem to happen anymore.

But, most of us, in most congressional districts, in all fifty states,
think that OUR incumbent is just great, and we keep re-electing them over
and over. Even states with term limits, they keep re-electing the same
one as long as the law allows, and then pick someone else who is about
the same. Even the people who ran on a platform of term limits,
approaching their own term limits, decided maybe it wasn't such a good
idea.

So, if YOUR congress rep is OK with YOU, and MY congress rep is OK with
ME (she is, as a matter of fact, her first campaign is the first election
I've volunteered on in thirty years), then something else must be wrong.

Maybe its the way the darn institution is put together.