[GCFL-discuss] (no subject)

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Mar 29 20:57:59 CDT 2009

I ran across the following on-line ads, all in a column, under an article
somewhat related to any or all of the subject matter:

Real Pro-Life Checks
True pro-life messages starting at just $6.95 a box. Covers available
www.prolifechecks.com
Planned Parenthood Checks
Order Planned Parenthood Checks & Save 50% off Bank Prices.
www.ChecksWithStyle.com
Sanctity of Human Life
Materials for Sanctity of Human Life Sunday and Pro-Life Materials
www.keenermarketing.net

Any one of them would have been hilarious. All of them in a row deserve
each other. They all remind me of the Mothers of Invention album with the
front cover parody on the Beatles "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
Band." The Mothers' version was entitled "We're Only In It For The
Money."

On an unrelated note, I checked Rod Dreher's "Crunchy Cons" column,
something I do two or three times in a blue moon, and found him praising
a recent article by "uber liberal" Kurt Andersen. I later ran across
Andersen's article in TIME magazine, introduced by full page photos of
Ronald Reagan and Barack Obama, and couldn't recall at first why the
words seemed so familiar. Anyway, the simple point I am trying to arrive
at in my usual long-winded fashion is, if America has a positive future,
it lies in the kind of insights that crunchy cons can find in
uber-liberals and vice versa, while we trash what is dear to the hearts
of one or the other, but not both.

Dreher said Andersen's article appealed to his ascetic self, but missed
the connection between economic excess and the (so-called) "sexual
revolution." I'm not sure I see the connection either. Fox TV is going to
have a harder time giving up sex than they are giving up on what passes
for conservative politics. But I would agree that sex is not free.  Maybe
this paragraph provides the best of what Andersen did offer:

"The popular culture tried to warn us. For 20 years, we've had Homer
Simpson's spot-on caricature of the quintessential American: childish,
irresponsible, willfully oblivious, fat and happy. And more recently we
winced at the ultra-Homerized former earthlings of WALL-E."

OK, that's my attempt to reignite our discussion group. Take your best
shot.