[GCFL-discuss] Red necks?

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Dec 23 18:47:04 CST 2010

The only thing I don't like about those redneck jokes is they perpetuate
stereotypes originally invented by silk-stocking bourbon upper crust
people to put down my maternal grandmother's ancestors.

It's sort of like why it bothers me when people with dark skin color call
each other "nigger" and talk like m-----f----- is a word of African
origin. (It's not, it's English. People from Africa heard it first out of
the mouth of an overseer).

One of the finest men the hills of Georgia ever produced was Don West.
I'm not sure he ever got a college degree, but he was teaching at Duke
University until the trustees decided it might jeopardize a big donation
from the Hearsts to keep him on the faculty.

That's my ideal of a redneck - a man who can plow a furrow behind a mule
all day and then teach a college class next week. Last accomplishment
before his death was building the Appalachian South Folk Life Center,
which was NOT a tourist attraction. His best essay ever was probably
"Romantic Appalachia - Or Poverty Pays If You Ain't Poor."

But what the hell, if rednecks didn't hang onto their guns, citizens
would be subjects. If you can burn a flag without getting arrested, thank
a redneck.